Manhattan Borough presidential candidate and former New York State Government Official Lindsey Boylan posted an essay containing her sexual allegations against Governor Andrew Cuomo on Medium last night.
Boylan shared her allegations previously on Twitter, but had never discussed things in such detail publicly.
The essay describes her experience working in the state government. She started as a Vice President at Empire State Development in 2016.
Before joining the office, her friend with an ‘influential civic engagement organization background warned her to “be careful around the Governor.”
She explains how the sexual misconducts started with Governor Cuomo having a “crush” on her to him touching her on the “lower back, arms, and legs,” asking her to “play strip poker,” and kissing her on the lips.
“We were in his New York City office on Third Avenue. As I got up to leave and walk toward an open door, he stepped in front of me and kissed me on the lips. I was in shock, but I kept walking.” — Lindsay Boylan
Boylan also provided evidence of her conversation with Stephanie Benton, Director of the Governor’s Office, that illustrates Gov. Cuomo’s attraction towards her.
In the email, Benton told her that Governor Cuomo wants her to look up images of his ‘rumored former girlfriend’ Lisa Shields also because they “could be sisters” and that she is “the better-looking sister.”
“The Governor began calling me “Lisa” in front of colleagues,” Boylan said.
“It was degrading,” she added.
In 2018, Governor Cuomo promoted Boylan to Deputy Secretary of Economic Development and named her a Special Advisor. She took the offer after an initial rejection with the condition to have her office on a separate floor from him.
Boyland resigned on September 26, 2018, after an event in which she claims Governor Cuomo kissed her.
- According to Boylan’s claim, other female staffers reached out to her with similar sexual harassment experiences.
- “It was all so normalized — particularly by Melissa DeRosa and other top women around him — that only now do I realize how insidious his abuse was.” Boylan wrote while mentioning Melissa DeRosa, a staffer who admitted Cuomo’s attempt to hide nursing home death.
- Sexual harassment is not Cuomo’s only alleged inappropriate behavior. Assemblymember Ron Kim reveals Gov. threatens to end his career and requests him to lie about the nursing home death.
What they’re saying:
- Mayor de Blasio backed up Ron Kim’s claim in an interview with Morning Joe: “That’s classic Andrew Cuomo.. the bullying is nothing new.”
- Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) released a statement calling for Cuomo to resign: “Governor Cuomo has earned his title as Worst Governor in America, and now every New Yorker knows that he is a criminal sexual predator.”
Follow us on Instagram to stay updated on our rigorous coverage of Cuomo, Biden, and Newsom.