House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office said Friday that her husband, Paul Pelosi, has been hospitalized after a violent assault at their San Francisco home.
Originally, mainstream media sources attempted to frame the suspect as a far-right extremist. That narrative crumbled in mere hours after the man’s odd, Leftist lifestyle was exposed. (more below)
The suspect, according to Axios, has been identified as 42-year-old David DePape. Axios reports that DePape was looking for Nancy Pelosi, but she wasn’t in San Francisco at the time.
- Pelosi’s spokesperson Drew Hammill said in a statement, “Early this morning, an assailant broke into the Pelosi residence in San Francisco and violently assaulted Mr. Pelosi.”
- “The assailant is in custody and the motivation for the attack is under investigation. Mr. Pelosi was taken to the hospital, where he is receiving excellent medical care and is expected to make a full recovery,” Hammill said.
- He added that Nancy Pelosi was not in San Francisco at the time of the attack.
- DePape has been charged with attempted homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, burglary and “several other additional felonies,” per San Francisco Police Chief William Scott.
During a news conference Friday, Chief Scott said officers were dispatched to Pelosi’s residence around 2:27 am local time and saw both DePape and Pelosi “holding a hammer.”
- “[DePape] pulled the hammer away from Mr. Pelosi and violently assaulted him with it,” Scott said. The officers “immediately tackled [DePape], disarmed him, took him into custody, requested emergency backup and rendered medical aid.”
- Both were transferred to a local hospital.
According to the Daily Beast, DePape is a former “hemp jeweler” who last lived with a popular San Francisco nudist activist, Gypsy Taub.
“DePape appears to have sold hemp jewelry, though the website for his business is currently down. (His only tweet reads “Mushroom Hemp Necklaces” and contains a broken link; his Pinterest page contains broken links to several multi-colored necklaces.)
Two relatives told CNN that DePape is estranged from his family, and an acquaintance from eight years ago said he was struggling with hard drugs at the time but was “trying to create a new life for himself.” She said she cut off contact with DePape after receiving “disturbing” emails in which he sounded “dangerous” and “out of touch with reality.” A second woman who worked with Depape about a decade ago said he told her he spoke to angels and that there was “a hard time coming.” Both women said he lived in a storage shed or storage unit at the time.
DePape’s last known address was in Berkley, California, where he lived with nude activist Gypsy Taub. (Taub is perhaps best known for her nude nuptials in San Francisco, where Depape served as best man.)”
President Biden, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy all reached out to Nancy Pelosi with condolences for her husband.
“The President is praying for Paul Pelosi and for Speaker Pelosi’s whole family,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said. “He is also very glad that a full recovery is expected.”
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has also contacted Pelosi, according to his office. “Leader McCarthy reached out to the Speaker to check in on Paul and said he’s praying for a full recovery and is thankful they caught the assailant,” a spokesperson for McCarthy told Axios.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell took to Twitter to condemn the attack:
Paul Pelosi made news earlier this year when he crashed into another driver while operating a vehicle under the influence.